Here is a list of Frequently Asked Questions concerning dining on campus. If you don't find the answer to your question, please send us an email to Vleminckx-amy@aramark.com and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Meal Plan Policy
A student living in a residence hall MUST purchase one of the following University meal plans: Bona Platinum, Bona Gold or Bona Silver. The ONLY exceptions are students living in Townhouses or Garden Apartments and graduate students.

Any unused Flex Dollars and Block Meals will transfer from the fall to spring semester. At the end of the spring semester, unused Flex Dollars and meals are nonrefundable and cannot be transferred to the summer or the new academic year. Absolutely no reimbursements will be given for unused meal plans or Flex dollars. Residential students may not purchase Block plans.

Within the above-mentioned guidelines, students may change a University meal plan during the first ten (10) business days of each semester only. This policy is strictly enforced. Students are required to personally file the appropriate request form for a meal plan change by reporting to the Housing Office. Meal plan changes are done exclusively through the University Housing Office, Room 202, in the Reilly Center. Meal Plans are not in effect and cannot be used when the campus and/or residence halls are closed during specified vacation periods, Christmas/semester breaks and spring semester mid-term break. There will be no dining services available on Thanksgiving Day or Easter Sunday.

Cancellation of Room – A student requesting and receiving approval to break this contract prior to the opening of residence halls for the semester, or within the first two weeks of classes, does so under penalty of a $200 cancellation fee, in addition to whatever pro-rated cots have accumulated for the first two weeks of class if the student did not request to cancel the contract prior to the date of opening of residence halls. A student requesting and receiving approval to break this contract after the end of the second week of class of a semester does so under penalty of the cost of the room for the entirety of that semester, in addition to the $200 cancellation fee. In order to properly cancel this contract, student must submit a written request to the Coordinator for Residential Education and Housing for approval. Once approved, a date and time for move out will be agreed upon between the student and the Coordinator for Residential Education and Housing.

View all questions

Meal Plans

What Meal Plans do you offer?

We offer a variety of meal plans to meet your on campus dining needs. Check out our Meal Plan page for a full list of offerings.

How can I purchase a Meal Plan?

You can purchase a meal plan through the Office of Housing during scheduled business hours.

Are Meal Plans required?

Yes. A student living in the residence hall system is obligated to participate in one of the University meal plans. All freshmen living in a residence hall are required to purchase the deluxe meal plan for the academic year. The only exceptions are the following: Townhouses, Garden Apartments and graduate students.

What is the difference between Bona Bucks, Flex Dollars, Debit Dollars and Advantage Dollars?

Flex Dollars are "free" money that comes with your meal plan. It can be used for food only. Bona Bucks is money that you put on your card to be used towards food or books. Debit Dollars is money that you or your family adds to your Bona ID Card. The Debit Dollars can only be used for food. Advantage dollars are offered to students who have off-campus style living. Anyone living in the Townhouses, Garden Apartments or have off-campus housing can use Advantage Dollars for food in any of our dining facilities.

May I change my meal plan?

Yes. For the first 10 days of each semester you can change your plan simply by going to the Bona ID Office in the Reilly Center and complete a Change Form.

How do I get into the dining locations once I have purchased my Meal Plan?

Within 24 hours, your Student ID card will be activated with your meal plan. Present your card to the cashier in the dining hall, and you are all set!

Can I treat a friend or collegue to a meal on my plan?

It depends on where you eat. Only you can use your all-you-care-to-eat meals. But you can treat a friend or colleague to a meal at the Hickey with a guest meal pass or anywhere on campus using your Flex Dollars

How do I add money to my Bona I.D. Card?

If you wish to add money to your Bona I.D. Card, contact the Bona I.D. Office at 375-2675, and they will be happy to help you add money to your card. You can also add Bona Bucks online at the following web address: http://www.sbu.edu/life-at-sbu/housing-and-dining


Where can I find more info on nutrition?

For more on Nutritional Information and Healthy for Life initiatives, visit our Eat Well section.

Why do I have to create an account in order to check out?

For you, and us, to be able to best track orders, and to be able to contact you in case of a question regarding your order we ask that you create a CampusDish account.

How do I create an account?

Click the "Login" button, and then on the login page click the "create a new account" link.

How do I find more about Nutritional Information?

Use our Comparison Box and Nutritional Calculator to get the most out of your eating decisions. Select products from the Menu section and use one of the options below to get accurate comparisons and information about your choices. 

For more on Nutritional Information and Healthy for Life initiatives, visit our Eat Well section.